This is my 28th birthday, the last time I saw my dad.
A trip to the coast, this is the Spruce Goose, and it was the trip where dad saw the ocean for the first time.
Dad was always good with animals.Sunday March 21, 2010 my sweet father passed into the hands of his Heavenly Father. He was born the second child, and only son, to James and Dorothy Barrett. They gave him the strong name of Timothy James Barrett. He was brother both younger and older to three sisters, Rebecca, Janna, and Jamie. The family moved from Fargo to Dylan, Montana where Tim spent his happiest years, finally ending up in Missoula.
My dad was 28 years old, when my mom gave birth to me. He named me, and from the first moment he held me I knew that I was the most beloved girl in the world. I carry with me his black hair, blue eyes, and his smile.
My dad had the great ability to do anything he wanted to with the wood that he held and shaped in his hands. He was always every one's "go-to- guy", the deck builder, the door hanger, the cutting board maker, the great master griller.
A few of my favorite memories are spending time with him at his place of employment, Superior Hardwoods, coloring legal pad papers, eating egg salad sandwiches at McCormik Park, riding next to him in his big trucks listening to John Fogerty. My daddy would tuck me into my care bear sheets, and kiss me on the cheek each night in the summers. As I grew into a woman his roll changed from just daddy to Grandpa Bear. He found so much joy in Josh and I's three babies, Riley David, Olivia Ryann, and Ethaniel Michael-Timothy. His great happiness these last few years came in driving to where we lived, sitting on the bar stool, listening to the kids, doing the cross-word, having my cooking (which he always told me was so great), and a coke with ice.
I loved that for twenty years we bet on the Super Bowl, which 19 of them ended up with him buying my a foot long and a shake from the DQ on Higgins.
I have always been proud that my dad won the Montana State Championship in skeet shooting 100 out of 100, a perfect score. He loved fishing especially with his best friend Willie. He always loved his dogs, Jack and Max, calling them the great bird dogs. He had a passion for hunting, but always had respect for the animal, so much so that he saw a pheasant cross his path once on a hunt, the pheasink (as he called them) looked him in the eyes with a "please" look, and dad couldn't shoot him. He loved nature, and to just sit and enjoy the clouds, hear the birds, and feel the sunshine on his face.
Words cannot suffice the void each of us that love him feels without his earthly presence around us. The beauty of death is the release of pain, both in body and heart, and I know that my dad is in his fullness now with his parents.
I will miss him so much, I ache to hear "muffin girl" of "skeezniks the kid" from his deep bellowing voice. I miss the kisses and hugs, and his answers to my questions.
I am posting the song lyrics that most represent how I feel about my dad's passing, it means a lot to me to be able to express this...
Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breathKeep me in your heart for a while
If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less
Keep me in your heart for a while
When you get up in the morning and you see that crazy sun
Keep me in your heart for a while
There's a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done
Keep me in your heart for a while
Sha la, la-la-la, la-la-li, li, lo
Keep me in your heart for a while
Sha la, la-la-la, la-la-li, li, lo
Keep me in your heart for a while
Sometimes when you're doing simple things around the house
Maybe you'll think of me and smile
You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on your blouse
Keep me in your heart for a while
Hold me in your thoughts, take me to your dreams
Touch me as I fall into view
When the winter comes keep the fires lit
And I will be right next to you
Engine driver's headed north to Pleasant Stream
Keep me in your heart for a while
These wheels keep turning but they're running out of steam
Keep me in your heart for a while
I love you Daddy.
2 comments:
Very nice, Katie. Your Dad would love your words and thoughts about him. Take care, darlin girl. Patti
You have a gift with words, and what an amazing gift that is..
Post a Comment