Monday, April 18, 2011

Hoarding???

I took time to watch TLC's new show Extreme Couponing, and here is my opinion.
Is Extreme Couponing hoarding? This was a question asked to one woman, who answered that she didn't believe so, that if you look at a "hoarders" home it is messy and unkempt. As opposed to her home where you wouldn't see it if you didn't look under the beds, in the closets, and the garage. When in doubt I head to Websters: hoarding: A store laid up: a hidden supply, to collect and lay up; amass and conceal. So do I think it is hoarding. Yes.
Next am I a hypocrite? Hypocrite:One who feigns to other and better than he is. So my answer to that question is no.  I shop for the best deal for my family's benefit. The best deal does not qualify as 150 Butterfingers for free. We shop for organic, and natural, foods without dyes, and corn syrup. This does not mean that we don't get treats, but I do not buy pre packaged meals. If you really want to save dig in and get cooking from scratch.
My  light bulb moment came when I went to a seminar on couponing with a MOPS group.(This was before I began couponing). The woman talking rarely spent more than $50.00 a week to feed her family of 5. She bought a pallet of Stouffers Stuffing for free and only paid sales tax, while this took work and effort one has to question. Who needs a pallet of stuffing? My question to her was what did she spend on doctor's bills a year? Couponing is a double edged sword. The good side is people that extreme coupon are able to donate in mass amounts. The unfortunate side is (and this is my opinion not based on any studies) they are unhealthy. If you are buying in mass prepackaged, processed food, and it is all free I can guarantee you are paying for it in your waist line, medical bills, and insurance premiums. The reason we are able to get this food for free is because it is crap.
However, we have been in circumstances where it is necessary, ie: Josh was unemployed and I am home with the kids, so couponing in the beginning became necessity. Quickly however I started seeing the benefit of using couponing to our health advantage, when we made that change life became so much easier, and everyone benefited.
So that's my opinion on Extreme Couponing... "Too much of a good thing is never a good thing."

No comments: