This Memorial Day had extra meaning for me and my family. My dad came to see me in Beaverton, Oregon along with Grandma, who was really tired that trip. We talked about death, burial, and cremation. My dad said he didn't really know for sure what he wanted, but thought if he was cremated he would want to be on the Horse Prairie in Dillon.
Dillon, MT is about 200+ miles from my home and sits very near the Idaho border, and I sit very near the Canadian one, so my dad got three resting places... Ninepipes for me to visit, Deer Creek in Missoula, for the rest of our family, and Dillon for him.
We loaded the kids in Saturday and drove to Dillon knowing that the Horse Prairie is large and I didn't know an exact spot... we drove down the Hwy to Bloody Richard Road turned right and followed it for a little while until we turned a corner and a huge red rock was in front of us... it's actual name is Red Butte and can be found on most topo maps... I knew at that moment that was the spot. It is the quintessential Montana scenery, a creek, a cowboy fence, sage brush, mountains, and beautiful colors. It rained, or rather POURED, the entire drive down until we got to his spot, and the blue skies came out and the big puffy clouds welcomed us, and the sun and wind hugged us gently. My dad had never had an opportunity to go to "the one out of this country destination" he dreamed of, Ayers Rock in Australia... I figure Red Butte was the Montana replica, and I felt like I took him down under a bit. We blessed the spot with a prayer and I gently put dad in the creek with a warm goodbye. Riley held my hand and said, "He can ride the wind now Mom." So Daddy, go ride that wind and I will feel you there. Bye for now.

1 comment:
Kates...
You have handled the loss of your Dad in a very respectful way. You have tenderly thought out all the things he would have wanted. As in life...he would be extremely proud of you and I am certain he smiles upon you through out every day. Look yourself in the eyes honey and there lives your Daddy. You are the best daughter in the world honey and I love you to pieces! XOXO Mama
Post a Comment