Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pantry Week


This is a post for those of us who sometimes have to make things work with what is available.

I have no idea why I am as excited as I am, but I am! We are doing a pantry/freezer clean out, first because we have to, second because we are teaching our kids how important staying on a budget is and being wasteful is not okay.
We have more in our mere pantry than most people in this world do in a month. We are trying to be aware of how blessed we are with what we have. There is an old Yiddish proverb "What man has man does not want, what man wants man does not have."
I will post our menu Monday-Friday of this week. I will be the first to admit that this will not be the most well rounded diet, but one week of creativity will not kill us.

Monday
Breakfast: LO W. Wheat waffles, Kefir, crushed almods, agave nectar (K,E)
Cheerios, cut bananas, crushed almonds, agave nectar (R,O)
Water
Snack: ww muffin, banana
Lunch: LO mac and cheese, turkey kilbasa, peas (K,E) water
PBw/agave nectar sand, celery, raisins, Kashi crackers (R,O,J) water
Snack: Natural Choice Turkey slices, organic applesauce, candy canes
Dinner: Red Potato w/creamed peas (made with evaporated milk) W.Wheat butterhorns
(made with unthawed frozen cottage cheese, wwflour, butter... yum) Milk
Tuesday
Breakfast: ww buttermilk almond pancakes w/homemade syrup, turkey slices, water
Snack: Organic applesauce
Lunch: Plain Yogurt, homemade syrup, celery, organic applesauce, turkey slices, milk (R,O)
PBA sand, raisens, turkey slices, milk (E)
LO crackers from Christmas, 3turkey slices, raisens, 2cheese slices, Diet Sprite (K)
Snack: Hot Cocoa w/cinnamon
Dinner: Creamy chicken soup w/rice, carrots, celery, onions w/spankopetas, water
Wednesday
Breakfast: LO ww buttermilk pancakes w/almonds, hm syrup, turkey slices, mangos, apple juice
Snack: Raisins, turkey slices
Lunch: lo creamy chicken soup, dates, apricots, turkey slices,milk (R,O) Cheerios, nuts, raisens, apricots (K,E)water
Snack: wwbutterhorns
Dinner: Lo creamy chicken soup, ww butterhorns, milk
Thursday
Breakfast: LO ww buttermilk pancakes (if I never see another pancake I will be happy) hmsyrup, dates, water (ROE)
Optimum Slim cereal with plain yogurt, agave, dates (K)
Lunch: LO ww spaghetti, water
Snack: Banana bread (made w/o eggs or butter it was ingenious, and good)
Dinner: Top Ramen (Iwas tired, and it was hot)
Friday
Breakfast: Plain yogurt, agave nectar
It's OVER!! I think we did great, not one penny spent on this work week, we have a 1/2 tub of sour cream, one carrot, and some baking soda in the fridge, time to fill it up with YUMMY organic veggies, and milk!!!
I am glad I kept track of it all, it was fun, and a lot of work, but the kids did say they learned that you "YOU CAN MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOTHING!"

No comments: